How MetLife Bank Helps You
MetLife Bank protects your account in a variety of ways:
- We require you to use a secure Internet browser to access account information and perform transactions.
- You must provide a user name and password, as well as verify the image you selected when you registered for account access, to access online banking account information.
- MetLife Bank uses the most up-to-date technologies to help ensure the safety and security of your online banking account.
MetLife Bank N.A. has taken several steps to help secure your bank account and financial transaction information by requiring the use of secure browsers, protecting account information with unique user ID and Password requirements, and by deploying 24 hour network security monitoring. Even though we use tools and security devices to secure and protect your information, your actions play a key role in the overall security of your personal information.
How can I help protect my account?
- Manage Your Password. This is one of the easiest things that you can do to secure your account. See our tips below on how to effectively manage your personal password.
- Clear the Cache of Your Browser. Browsers generally cache (i.e. locally store) images of pages they have downloaded to enhance performance. By clearing your cache after visiting secure sites, you ensure no one else can view any confidential information you may have transmitted. Please refer to your browser instructions for information on clearing your cache.
- Log Out. Remember to log out when you are finished using your computer. Please use our "Log Out" feature if you are going to be away from your computer for an extended period of time. The logout will end your session and you will be forced to submit your User ID and Password before entering the web site again. Shutting down your browser is also a good way of preventing others from using your access.
How does MetLife Bank help protect my account?
- 128-bit High Encryption Browsers. At MetLife Bank, we require you to use a secure browser to access account information and perform transactions. This helps to keep the information you access secure and confidential. Netscape Navigator®, Netscape Communicator, and Microsoft® Internet Explorer are all browsers that support encryption.
- User ID and Password. To access account information, you must provide a User ID and a Password to enter the secure area of our site. Your password is not displayed when entered (i.e. the password is "hashed" out and does not appear in clear text on your screen).
- Multiple Firewalls. Firewalls are used to protect MetLife Bank's systems and proprietary network from any unauthorized Internet traffic. A firewall is used to ensure only MetLife Bank traffic is allowed to pass to our systems and networks. In other words, traffic from the Internet that is not from MetLife Bank customers is rejected. Firewalls also create logs of network traffic that allow for centralized auditing and security monitoring.
- Encrypted Network. After you have entered your information, MetLife Bank uses an encrypted network to transport data between our systems and our alliance systems. Ensuring the security of your financial transactions is a core process at MetLife Bank. We use security monitoring devices 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to help ensure that your information is secure.
Is sending e-mail to MetLife Bank secure?
MetLife Bank cannot guarantee the confidentiality of information sent to us via e-mail because the information is not encrypted. Therefore, we strongly discourage you from including any confidential or private information in your e-mail. Specifically, we discourage you from including the following:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your MetLife Bank Account Number
- Other personal financial information
MetLife Bank cannot be responsible for any damages you sustain if you transmit confidential or sensitive information to us via e-mail. Additionally, MetLife Bank will not include such information in our e-mail messages to you.
How do I know if my connection to MetLife Bank is secure?
SSL capable browsers have a symbol that indicates secure mode.
|Browser||Symbol Location||Normal Mode||Secure Mode Symbol|
|Netscape 1.2, 2.0, 3.0||Lower Left|
|Netscape Communicator 4.0||Lower Left|
|Microsoft Internet Explorer||Lower Right||NONE|
Also, check the web address that you have accessed. If you are in a secure area, the address will appear as https://www. Notice the "s" in the address. This means that you have accessed a secure server.
What is SSL and how does it protect me?
SSL is a protocol designed by Netscape Communications Corporation to provide secure communications on the Internet. Essentially, SSL does three things:
- SSL creates a secured communication channel by encrypting communication between the user and the server.
- SSL authenticates that the server to which you are connected is indeed correct. So that you are actually communicating with MetLife Bank, and not a third party trying to intercept the transaction.
- SSL conducts a cryptographic word count to data integrity between the server and the user. The word count (or checksum) provides a count of the number of bytes in a document and ensures the exact number of bytes is transmitted and received. With SSL, even this checksum is encrypted so it cannot be modified. If a message is not received in its entirety, it is rejected and another copy of the message is sent automatically.
Why isn't the padlock on my browser locked?
The reason the padlock icon provided on your browser may not appear locked (symbolizing an encrypted session) is because certain pages of our web site may use frames to display information. The navigation bar across the top of your screen is one frame. The selections that appear on the left are another frame. The main portion of the site appears in the remaining frame. Frames that display general information about the site, such as the navigation bar across the top of your screen, are not encrypted. However, any screen that displays or requests information about your account, user name, password, application and other sensitive information is encrypted.
If you have additional questions about data security, please call our customer care center toll-free at 1-866-BankMet (1-866-226-5638) or e-mail us at inquiry@MetLifeBank.com.